When was DEVONthink first released?

Can somebody give me a date when version 1.0 was released? I’m just curious.

Also, is there a please for historic release notes? I can only find them going back to 3.9 or so.

Before my time by 10 years, so @eboehnisch or @cgrunenberg would need to chime in. However, it was 22 years ago in April… or perhaps it’s 23 this year? :thinking::upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Thanks! Very cool!

I was doing some writing in BBEdit and thinking about the apps I use every day. BBEdit and DEVONthink are two of them. BBEdit has been around for over 30 years and I was wondering about DEVONthink.

I guess I really like those old-timer apps. They’re stable and reliable which is what I’m looking for in my day-to-day work.

6 Likes

The Devonthink “About” window says 2001-2024. I’ve been using it since 2003, although that doesn’t prevent the occasional failure to understand how certain things work.

1 Like

I’m probably two-thirds “old” and one-third “new” for apps that I rely on that I consider essential to my life, but I agree with your sentiment. I see new apps pop up that seem really useful, but I wonder if they will still be here in 3 years in a format I recognise, and most the time I can’t plan to hand over or support a task not knowing if the app will be here in a few years. (There are of course exceptions where I figure that the benefit right now outweighs whether I can rely on the app long-term.)

For knowledge management anyway, it seems short-sighted to adopt an app that has an uncertain future, and one way to judge that is by longevity (but also stuff like how easy it is to remove data, etc. DT is ticking a lot of boxes!).

5 Likes

It was April 2002. But even my memory is slowly beginning to fade :joy: At the time @cgrunenberg was working on DEVONthink alone and I helped him in my spare time while being full-time editor-in-chief of a prepress-focused trade magazine.

11 Likes

My memory started to fade long before now! I do, however, remember that I was one of the first customers back in 2002.

6 Likes

:pray:t2:

What is the story behind the name “DEVONthink”?

2 Likes

You’re not OG DT?! You certainly are an integral part of it now!

I’ve been using since the 2.0 times but it seems like anytime I had a question or found an answer in the forums, you weren’t far from it.

1 Like

:heart: This is my 12th year with DEVONtech.

5 Likes

That’s a relief to know. I read the thread rather quickly and thought for a moment…

that was referring to…oh, never mind, that’s really too rude! :grinning:

You provide much fun and learning, Jim, and it’s always so much appreciated.

Stephen

4 Likes

I wish I’d found this app in 2002. It would’ve been amazing. Alas, I only came to the ways of DT in the last couple of years when I finally reached breaking point with my millions of “everything buckets” and thought “surely there is a better way to organise one’s research and notes”.

DT was life-changing for me. Worth every penny!

8 Likes

The app from 2002 is of course hardly comparable to the latest version :wink:

1 Like